Henry David Thoreau, Walden; or, Life in the Woods (1854)In order to try and encourage me to be more disciplined in my approach I have tried to set up a series of goals for each year.
I will review each year halfway through the year (i.e. early July) and may revise some of the final targets for the year after that.
For future years, I will include provisional goals which will be "formally" set at the start of the year in question.
As a result, of my periodic reviews (see my half-yearly and Q3) I revised a couple of the targets for the full year. For a fuller breakdown of my achievement of my targets read by 2014 in review post.
Invest at least £6,000 in at least 10 stocks over the year (inc. one foreign equity). ACHIEVED REVISED: Invest at least £8,000 in at least 12 stocks (inc. one foreign equity/ETF).ACHIEVED
- REVISED: Invest at least £12,000 in at least 15 companies (inc. one foreign equity) ACHIEVED
- Achieve a portfolio dividend yield of more than 3.5%. ACHIEVED
Earn £200 from dividends.ACHIEVED REVISED: Earn £250 from dividends.ACHIEVED
- REVISED: Earn £350 from dividends (an average of £29.17 per month). FAILED
Achieve a Beta volatility value for my portfolio of less than 1.ACHIEVED REVISED: Achieve a Beta volatility of 0.9 or less.ACHIEVED
- REVISED: Achieve a Beta volatility of 0.85 or less. ACHIEVED
Portfolio spread over at least 5 different sectors.ACHIEVED
- REVISED: Portfolio spread over at least 9 different sectors. ACHIEVED
Reduce equity weight divergence from the median to under +/-18%.ACHIEVED
- REVISED: Reduce equity weight divergence from the median to under +/-17%. ACHIEVED
At the start of the year I sat down to put together a couple of my investing targets for the year. These will, no doubt, be revised throughout the year as well as have new ones added when they seem appropriate. I reviewed my progress in the first quarter in April and a half-yearly review in July.
Invest at least £6,000 over the year. ACHIEVED Retain a portfolio dividend yield of more than 4%. Earn £800 or more from dividends (an average of £66.67 per month). Reach a "Work Freedom Day" of 3 February 2015.
- Retain a portfolio Beta volatility value less than 0.85.
Hold at least 25 different equities but fewer than 30 (not including spin-offs).
- Reduce trading charges to below 1.3% of total invested in year. ACHIEVED
- Increase diversification
Include at least one property investment (REITs, property funds, etc.)ACHIEVED Include at least one foreign equity investment (foreign equity, or foreign-focused IT/ETF)ACHIEVED
- Earn more than £1200 from dividends.
- Hold at least 30 different equities.
- Achieve a portfolio dividend yield of more than 4.2%.
- Retain portfolio Beta volatility value less than 0.8.
- Reduce trading charges below 1.2% of total invested in year.
- 5% of portfolio to be held in USA investments.
This is how far I have progressed towards my £1,200 dividend income target for 2016:
For full details of my dividend income see my "Dividends Received" page.
- Earn more than £1500 from dividends
- Reduce trading charges below 1% of total invested in year
- 10% of portfolio to be held in USA investments
Currently I have a predicted dividend income for the full 2017 year--based on my current holdings and last known dividend values for the full year--as set out below:
[Creative Commons image reproduced from Flickr user Jim Kelly]