Saturday 2 May 2015

My Weekly Top 5: On Here, Over There (and Over To You)--2 May 2015

May already! That happened far too quickly for my liking.

This week--after asking your comments last week on how to arrange this going forward--I have kept things mostly the same. I have yet to decide how to adjust the Top 5 list as I have not had much time to think on the excellent reader suggestions I received (a busy week!).

So, for now, it is largely business as usual.

As before, this is going to include your favourite articles "On Here" (that is on The Dividend Drive) and my favourite articles "Over There" (that is, on other personal finance sites I read).

And "Over To You"? Well that is an invite for you to highlight any articles you came across that you found interesting and not included in the list below.

Anyway, here goes my list for 2 May.



"On Here"

NOTE: The "On Here" list is purely quantitative. It is the posts with the most unique reads that week (not including other Top 5 lists).When marked "New" it means they were not on last week's list not necessarily that were published this week.

An interesting list this week. As usual, the newly published articles on my Britvic purchase and April dividend and trading update take pride of place.

However, another new entry at number 5 is my post on Dividend Life's Work Freedom Day published back in March. It has often threatened to get in the Top 5 but this week saw quite a lot of extra interest for some reason. So here it is.

From last week, my post on UK student loans continues to be popular as does my (very) early plans for retirement planing my portfolio.

Anyway, without any further ado, here is my breakdown for the week beginning 25 April 2015:

  1. New: BUY: Britvic--Taking a Sip of a Soft Drinks Giant
  2. New: April 2015: Dividend Income and Trading Activity
  3. Why I Am Happy to Have a Student Loan (in the UK) and Not Repay it Early
  4. Shifting My Portfolio into "Retirement Gear": Primitive Proposed Plan and Timescales
  5. New: "Work Freedom Day"--A New Way to Chase Your Financial Independence "Crossover Point"?


"Over There"

NOTE: The "Over There" nothing like the "On Here" list. It is qualitative through and through and is simply chosen by me from what I read (and mostly commented on) during the week. It is not really a ranking but a motley bag of (excellent) items.

So what about articles published elsewhere. Here is a little list of what caught my eye.

This week--taking on board Dividend Life's suggestion last week--I have tried breaking it down a little into categories.

Hopefully you enjoy reading them as much as I did.

Budgeting and Frugality

FIRE (Financial Independence/Retiring Early) Planning and Strategy

Investing

General Personal Finance

Misc (who doesn't like a good "Misc" category?)

"Over to You"

Anyway, that is it for this week. And here, as promised an age ago (or rather a few lines above), the "Over to You" bit.

What did you read this week that you found really interesting related to investing, personal finance or financial independence?

Make a comment below and include a link. Then we can all take a look!


Like what you have read?
Sign up to receive FREE email updates when new content is published:

Why not also follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook?

13 comments:

  1. Hey DD
    Thanks for the shout out!
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Same to you! It's nice to see the progress you made this month. Slowly but surely is the way to go!

      Delete
  2. DD,

    Great selection of articles! Thank you for sharing and for including me, much appreciated.

    Best wishes,
    NMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Glad you found them interesting! I certainly found yours interesting so they definitely earned their place.

      Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  3. Hi D²,

    Thanks for the mentions. My articles this week have been your one on Britvic, and NMW's also on beverage stocks! I'm looking forward to working my own post up to being ready on the LSE listed beverage stocks too. I regret not buying Diageo when their PE dropped to below 20 a few months ago, but hey ho.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How did you get the superscript 2? That is top work!

      I look forward to reading your post. Beverage stocks really are very attractive. My only concern is that it seems that many have been heavily "bid up" in price due to their super-defensive nature. I am therefore a little reticent to load up too heavily in case--when interest rates rise--they drop comparatively sharply.

      If they do. I will be waiting to add to my holdings then. I really want to add SABMiller as well as top up Diageo.

      I was delighted that I managed to jump on Diageo when they were pushed down. I am extremely happy that I have managed to get my entire Diageo holding at a fair value price. Hopefully the opportunity will come again! They are tempting at today's prices.

      Sometimes you're lucky with timing. Other times not. A bit like Britvic. Wait a couple of days and I could be sub-PE16 for next year and with a yield over 3.1%. But, as you say, hey ho!

      Not sure I feel bold enough to top up though! We will see.

      Delete
  4. Another thanks for the mention from me and I would like to suggest an article recommended by dearieme via my blog comments - how accounting for a need for less income in later retirement means we may need to accumulate significantly less overall - The Retirement Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Thanks for the fascinating posts.

      That is genuinely very, very interesting and something that seriously needs to be considered.

      Of course, experience tells us this. When talking with my grandfather years ago he stated much the same thing when lending money to my uncle. His expenses have "plummeted" over the years (he has been retired about 30 years now). I gather that is even in hard currency terms not just inflation adjusted terms.

      It is something to be acutely aware of. If that means you are FIRE earlier than we currently think, that is a good thing. On the plus side, even if it is hard to calculate at least it suggests there is an additional financial buffer built into the system (of sorts!).

      I will add it to the list!

      Delete
    2. Also, it sort of overlaps with an article by Dividend Mantra which I included in a list a couple of weeks ago on how "Active Versus Passive: A Dollar Isn’t A Dollar" (see http://bit.ly/1Jikb1a).

      Delete
  5. Hey DD

    Thanks for including me in your over there list.

    Really enjoy reading your blog, so keep up the great work.

    Best Wishes
    FIUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, FIUK. Thanks for writing up the interesting posts!

      Glad you're enjoying my blog. I will certainly keep up the good work. Same to you!

      Delete
  6. Hi DD,

    That's a good list of articles - thanks for putting that together. I'm honoured you included two of mine, that was an unexpected surprise!

    I like the categories too!

    Best wishes,
    -DL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad so many people are finding it interesting and useful!

      One of my (soft) criteria for choosing to include articles on here is that I am moved to comment on it. As a result, if you knock together a couple of article that catch my eye, you're on the list more than once!

      Thanks. I tried to make the categories as broad as possible. Thanks for suggesting it on last week's post. As I say, still working out how to adjust and improve it as I go along.

      If you or anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to chuck them here!

      Delete